Boat Registration

Cherokee Lake

All mechanically powered vessels and all sailboats, which are used mostly in Tennessee, must be registered per Tennessee law. Registered boats from other states can be used in the state, but if the boat gets used more often in Tennessee, it must be registered within the state.

All registered vessels in the state must have a properly formatted Hull Identification Number (HIN) supplied to the TWRA. The HIN, a 12-digit number, is usually found on the boat’s transom in the upper right corner.

For additional information about boat registration, call (800) 648-8798. The TWRA office nearest Cherokee Lake is located in Talbott.